First Lutheran Church – Fergus Falls, Minnesota Position Description
JOB TITLE: Bookkeeper
TYPE OF POSITION: Part Time Permanent (Up to 20 hours per week)
May Consider a Contracted Employee Arrangement
COMPENSATION: Dependent on Experience
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Pastor
JOB RELATIONSHIPS: Church Council / Finance Committee
QUALIFICATIONS: Working knowledge and experience with bookkeeping functions, preferably with church or other non-profit organizations. Must have the ability to operate typical office equipment. Computer skills to include basic office software, web based applications. Understanding of specialized bookkeeping software is helpful.
Perform duties and tasks related to the day-to-day financial business of the church.
- Count weekly offering with a designated church volunteer.
- Enter weekly offering count into an excel spreadsheet.
- Ensure designated church volunteer deposits weekly offering to our bank, Security State Bank.
- Maintain current general and special ledgers and contributions in computerized bookkeeping program (ICON) for the church
- File and record in computerized bookkeeping system (ICON): weekly contributions, Memorials, Youth Fundraisers, event collections
- Update/maintain online giving records and record deposits in computerized system
- Maintain files on invoices, bills, check requests
- Financial update for bulletin
- Check all invoices to be sure the church is billed properly
- Accounts Payable/Receivable
- Review ICON announcements for any updates
- Check timecards before doing payroll
- Prepare/process payroll including the withholding of taxes, HSA, FSA, TSA, etc., Housing and mileage(monthly)
- Update/maintain vacation and sick time used
- Prepare/write checks for bills and line up Council member(s) for signature
- Pay Portico online (clergy benefit service)
- Deposit State and Federal Withholdings
- Reconcile Bank Statements
- Prepare Treasurers Reports for Council
- Attend council meetings, as need is determined by the Senior Pastor
- Remind council of meetings monthly
- Collect committee reports and post to website
- Prepare agenda for President and post to final draft to website
- Prepare report packets day of meeting
- File 941
- Compile and mail/email quarterly contribution reports to congregants
- Bill parking lot renters
- Compile prior year financial information for Congregation Annual Report
- Complete W-2’s and annual Federal and State forms
- Input pledges in computerizes system
- Create annual budget draft and work with Finance committee towards a final draft
- Input new annual budget
- Input annual staff wage adjustments and update withholdings as directed
- Update Portico
- Update/coordinate check signers at Security State Bank after Annual meeting
- Provide annual staff/volunteer training and keep/update records
- Print/mail annual contribution statements
- All year end reconciling in computerized bookkeeping system
- Prepare computerized bookkeeping system for new year
- Order/update/distribute offering envelopes
- Prepare/assist with audit
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Clean, pleasant surroundings, well ventilated and lighted work areas.
- Walks throughout facility, as the job requires.
- Travels to, participates in meetings, and training approved or promoted by the Senior Pastor.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate the employee’s needs, providing work is completed in a timely manner.
- Sedentary work also requiring kneeling, reaching, pulling, lifting up to approximately 25 pounds, and repetitive motions.
Education, Technical and Other Requirements
- High School diploma
- 1-3 years of bookkeeping or accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365
- Participative working style
- Ability to work in a team
- Written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Hours can be flexible to accommodate the individual’s schedule.
First review of applications will take place on April 9. Apply by sending your resume to First Lutheran Church; 402 South Court Street; Fergus Falls, MN 56537 or by email to email@example.com